CCW Insurance typically refers to “Concealed Carry Weapon Insurance” or “Concealed Carry Insurance.” It is a type of coverage designed for individuals who legally carry concealed firearms for self-defense purposes. Although commonly thought of as insurance, CCW insurance is not traditional insurance like other types of regulated insurance products designed to mitigate risks, such as homeowners insurance, auto insurance, life insurance and others.
This is important to know, because so-called “CCW Insurance” is a prepaid legal defense plan where a member pays a fixed monthly fee in exchange for legal defense and other benefits in case the member is involved in a self-defense incident where they must use their concealed weapon.
In this article, we will use the terms CCW Insurance and legal defense plan synonymously even though there are important differences noted above.
Should you buy CCW Insurance?
The act of carrying a firearm for self-defense comes with significant risks and responsibilities that you may not have considered. Some jurisdictions frown upon citizens using a gun or deadly weapon for self-defense, for various reasons, even in your own home. This could expose you to criminal charges should the local prosecutor decide to make an example of you. Even if you are not charged with a crime, the bad guy’s family may decide to bring a civil suit, which typically has a lower bar of evidence to win, exposing your family’s assets.
- If you are questioned by law enforcement, do you know what to say and not say?
- If you are arrested, do you have legal counsel available to you on short notice to protect your rights?
- Do you have the assets and expertise to find and retain a criminal defense attorney skilled in self-defense cases?
- Do you have significant assets that could tempt someone to bring a civil suit?
If you answered yes, or even maybe, to any of the above questions, then you should consider purchasing a legal defense plan.
Factors to Consider When Buying CCW Insurance
Before purchasing CCW Insurance, it is important to consider these key factors.
- Understand Your State’s Laws:
Before purchasing CCW insurance, familiarize yourself with your state’s concealed carry laws. Regulations can vary significantly from one state to another, and it’s crucial to know the specific legal requirements and restrictions in your area. In some states, legal defense plans are not permitted, leaving their citizens exposed to unnecessary legal liability.
- Determine Your Needs:Legal Defense: Determine the level of legal defense coverage you require. Consider factors such as the likelihood of self-defense incidents in your area and the potential legal costs associated with a trial.
- Civil Liability: Evaluate whether you need coverage for civil liability, which can help protect your assets in case you’re sued by the injured party in a self-defense incident.
- Bail Bond Coverage: Decide if you want coverage for bail bonds in case you’re arrested, jailed, and need to post bail.
- Personal Injury Coverage: Consider whether you want coverage for medical expenses or other costs related to injuries sustained during a self-defense incident.
- Firearm Replacement: Assess if you need coverage for firearm replacement or repair if your weapon is confiscated or damaged during an incident.
- Research Insurance Providers.
There are several CCW Insurance providers that claim to specialize in legal defense and provide benefits tailored to the specific needs of people who legally carry a firearm for protection.
- Compare Policy Details:
- Read reviews from unbiased, trusted sources, but keep in mind that CCW Insurance plans can change without notice and often do.
- Take care to do your own homework and read the actual policies before purchasing to make sure the coverage and benefits meet your expectations.
- Pay careful attention to any policy exclusions, waiting periods, or restrictions that may affect coverage.
- Review membership details carefully to understand its coverage in case you are convicted after claiming self-defense. Some policies may provide coverage even if you are convicted, while others may have limitations or exclusions in such situations.
- Ask questions if there’s anything in the policy that you don’t fully understand and if no one is available to answer your question, chances are they won’t be available when you most need them.
- Legal Assistance and Expertise:
- Find out if the plan provides access to experienced attorneys who specialize in self-defense cases, or better yet has legal counsel on staff. Having legal representation from the time a detective begins asking questions is crucial.
- Importantly, make sure the plan allows you to choose your legal counsel to ensure a good fit with your case and personality.
- Cost Considerations.
Consider the cost of CCW Insurance in relation to your budget. Keep in mind that legal defense costs can be substantial, so insurance can be a valuable investment. Most legal defense plan providers offer multiple tiers of benefits to fit a wide range of budgets.
- Education and Training.
The myriad laws and regulations impacting armed self-defense is constantly changing, so consider plans that offer ongoing updates and news. This is important for both new and experienced carriers.
- Stay informed.
Even after you buy a legal defense plan, periodically review the details to ensure it meets your evolving needs and expectations.
Not all legal defense plans are created equal, and Second Call Defense offers you these advantages:
- In-House Legal Counsel with Criminal Defense Expertise. Second Call Defense was created from the ground up by defense attorneys who understand the value of immediate legal guidance from the moment the need arises. We employ in-house legal counsel to ensure members receive immediate legal guidance throughout the entire legal process, just by making their second call, after the 911 call, to Second Call Defense.
- Immediate Cash for Attorneys and Bail Bonds. Second Call Defense provides immediate financial support for legal representation, bail bonds and other expenses, rather than a reimbursement plan that leaves members initially responsible for payments.
- No Repayment or Deductible. Members do not face the burden of deductibles or the expectation of repayment for the financial assistance they receive.
- Coverage for Use of ANY Weapon. The attacker(s) sets the time and place of his assault, meaning you must use the weapon available to you at that time – it might be a kitchen knife, a rock, a vehicle or your hands. Second Call Defense extends coverage to the use of any weapon, not just firearms, giving members greater flexibility and coverage.
- Coverage ANY type of attacker. Keep in mind that not all assailants are human. Our members are protected against claims related to self-defense situations involving animals (e.g., an attacking dog).
- Civil AND Criminal Defense Coverage. All our membership plans cover legal defense for BOTH criminal and civil cases, not every plan does (read the fine print!).
- Up to Unlimited Legal Defense Coverage. Second Call Defense offers extensive legal defense coverage with the option for unlimited civil protection. Not all legal defense plans offer this type of generous coverage.
- Proven Process for Matching Counsel to Members. Second Call Defense has a proven process for matching members with the best legal counsel for their specific situation, across all U.S. jurisdictions.
Second Call Defense offers the most comprehensive legal protection for armed self-defense with immediate up-front legal protection with nothing out of pocket, nothing to repay.
CCW insurance is a personal choice, and the right policy for one individual may not be suitable for another. By following this buyer’s guide and carefully considering your needs and circumstances, you can make an informed decision regarding CCW insurance and have peace of mind in case you ever need to use your concealed weapon for self-defense.
Second Call Defense provides immediate up-front self-defense legal protection with nothing out of pocket, nothing to repay ever. The most comprehensive Self-Defense Protection available. You are not alone!